International Leader in Robotic Surgery
Over the past year, Drs. Rei Chiou and Paulos Yohannes, Urologic
Surgeons at Creighton University Medical Center (CUMC), have been performing
leading edge urologic procedures using the new da Vinci™ Robotic Surgical
System. “The role of minimally invasive surgical techniques in urology
be defined in the 21st century. Robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery
a whole new dimension in urology; the ability to suture with no tremor
robot an ideal surgical tool to perform intracorporeal laparoscopic suturing.
benefits to patients are numerous, and include shorter hospital stay,
pain, less blood loss, and better cosmesis with hardly-noticeable scars,”
comments Dr. Paulos Yohannes.
Dr. Yohannes has extensive experience using the da Vinci™ robot; demonstrated
through being recognized as the first (or one of the first) surgeons:
In the United States to robotically repair the ureter that was wrapped
around the inferior
• In the United States to perform a retroperitoneal lymph node dissection
cancer using the da Vinci™ robot with manual laparoscopy.
• In the United States to perform a robotic assisted cystoprostatectomy
cancer with the assistance of Dr. Ranjan Sudan, Associate Professor of
CUMC (first was in Germany).
• In the world to perform a robotic assisted ureteral reimplant for ureteral
• In the United States to perform robotically assisted pyeloplasties
• In Nebraska to perform a robotic assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy
first among the following U.S. cities: Iowa City, New York, San Francisco
Detroit). For more information about minimally invasive urologic surgical
contact Drs. Paulos Yohannes or Rei Chiou at (402) 280-5252
||Copyright 2013 Urology Health Center